Quote

"For like a shaft, clear and cold, the thought pierced him that in the end the Shadow was only a small and passing thing: there was light and high beauty for ever beyond its reach." -- J.R.R. Tolkien

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Music and life

Music is a somewhat fundamental part of life.  A long time ago (about 10 years.. yea, long time for me), I had zero interest in music; and, in fact, I even considered it to be non-productive and a waste of time and resources.

Since then, I have altered my view on it some, and continue to change as I consider it.


There are lots of different kinds of music out there: Classical, Rock, Hip-hop, Rap, Pop, Metal of various forms, Country, etc.  The curiosity of music is that it can be a very dogmatic point for some people.  I myself hold have grown somewhat fond of most musics excluding country and any type of metal or heavy rock.

The question I think about now is this: Is the music that we like a product of our life and experience and emotions, or do we choose the music type with which we want to identify ourselves with?

One could more succinctly ask: Do we pick music we like because we want to be like the artists? or do we pick it because it expresses how we feel?

I still very firmly believe that some music is so fundamentally emotive that is evokes emotion in us through the music alone.  What is it about music that somehow alters the very emotions that we feel?  Can listening to a certain type of music change how we think or feel on a fundamental level?   Are we in control of our emotions when we listen to music, or does it change our emotions regardless of our will?


Now for an exercise for my readers:

Listen to the songs below and comment on how each of them make you feel.  Please toolbar the window to not display the associated videos, and simply listen to the music.  Ignore any advertisements before the videos on Youtube.

Schindler's List
Comptine d'un Autre Ete
Tales of the Blode

No comments:

Post a Comment